If you have never made money online before, this is the best post you will read this week.
The easiest way to make money is by selling something. I wrote a post about how to start a business with just 10k even if you have nothing. In that post, I mentioned that you can sell your skills in the form of service to get the money you need or you can sell a product you are no longer using.
What if you have no product at all to your name, nothing you can pawn for money? Then you are left to sell your skills in the form of services. With today’s technology, it’s easy to do this.
You do not need to go around your neighbourhood or city looking who need your services. All you need is to go the marketplace where people who need these services convene.
Yes, there are places where people are desperately looking for who can help them with their need and they have their credit cards in hand, ready to pay you to help them. These places are the freelance sites.
There are many of them on the internet. Some are good, others are not worth their name. While there are some that are outright scams. Seriously you will work, submit the work but won’t see your money. How do you avoid these sites?
- Do your due diligence before you register on any site. If the sites look too good to be true, with promises of huge payments, it’s probably not real.
- Don’t pay for any site. The good ones make money from the commission the collect when the job is done.
- Look at the reviews of people who have used them. When most people they have never received from a site, it’s a red flag.
Now you know. So where are the good ones? I have used many sites personally but I only recommend these three- Freelancer, Fiverr and Upwork. I’m not saying they are the only good ones, just saying the ones I have used, withdraw money from and recommend.
For this post, I will concentrate on freelancer.com.
Before I start, why will anyone pay someone to do some task for them? A lot of reasons.
- They have no time. This is the main reason many entrepreneurs give jobs out. From running around to source for your products to chasing creditors, handling invoice, paying suppliers, taking care of your employees, plus 37 other things to handle for your business and home. Seriously, you need freelancers to take care of some things. They can be your VA, article writer, SEO experts.
- They want to delegate. With all your responsibilities stated above, you don’t a soothsayer to tell you that you need to delegate some responsibilities. Even if you are an online marketer, you need to create products, design ecovers or cd covers, put up engaging posts daily, weekly, monthly. Then you need to write emails for your subscribers, write guest posts, and create a robust social media profiles in Pinterest, Instagram, Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter, and others.
- It cheaper and faster. Using freelancers to do a task that you don’t have the time or the expertise to (like app development, web design, etc), is way cheaper and easier. Some people have gone ahead to use some amazing freelancers they found in these as their remote staff. Sure, you can have distant employees, and so no tax, employee benefits, etc.
Now you know why they want to hire you. You have the skills, they have the money. Let’s see freelancer. Once you land on the site, you can on sign up at the top or use the big button, I want to work. Then you will see this page.
Registering in Freelancer
You can create an account by linking your Facebook account or by using the form on the page above. I won’t advise you to link your Facebook profile to this site, I believe your social media page should be kept for family and friends or for another serious business. To me using a freelance site is a way to make money and get onto the bigger game. But it’s your choice ultimately.
To use the form, put your email address, choose a username and a password. If your username has already been chosen, they’ll tell and you can choose another name. In choosing a name, it’s good to use a name that reflect the kind of services you will be selling there. I mean, use names like bestwriter, seo expert, marketingguru, videoguy, animationpro, etc. This will help you to get jobs faster. This is not compulsory but it makes you look professional in buyer’s eyes.
After filling in your details, they’ll send a link to your email to confirm. Just click the link you see in your email to confirm and then you have registered on the site.
Once in, you go to your profile and fill out the details. Put your skills, which is just the services you can render like writing, editing, proofreading, etc. After choosing up to 10 skills, you will be allowed to bid for jobs.
As a free member, you have up to 8 bids every month. But as a paid member you have more. To bid for a job means you tell the job poster that you can do it and put the amount you want. Once you are logged in, you will start seeing your job post at the lower right corner of your pc screen. You can go to work, then scroll down to “projects with my skill”, click and you’ll see the new jobs posted. Jobs are posted every minute on that site.
Just click on any job you feel you can do well, write a proposal to convince the poster, put the amount you can collect for it and post. The person who posted the job will contact via chat if he has more questions. You’ll then be able to convince him more and may even get paid a higher amount than you posted. Sometimes, the poster just chooses one of the proposals without further chatting. That’s how easy it is to get jobs from that site.
How much can you make and How to get your money?
Freelancer is one of the largest freelance job sites in the world today with hundreds of jobs posted every day by people all over the world.
However, the pay is, to put it mildly, too low. Especially for a beginner, you can be offered ridiculously low amounts of money to do a job. Accept it. Yes, you are a beginner, get those 5-star reviews. 2 or 3 of those with glowing comments, you start upping your rates.
With dedication and hard work, you see yourself making $100 monthly from that site. Even after the fees, (freelancer takes 10% of whatever you make). You can use a some of this money to upgrade to the intro member. That’s what I did and from there, I had many bids (as much as I needed every month).
When you start getting repeat customers, you won’t even have time to bid for jobs again, but your pay will increase. Then you can be withdrawing up to $500 monthly.
There are three ways of collecting the money you make in freelancer.com. First, if through PayPal, just add your PayPal email and use it whenever you want to withdraw. If you don’t have Paypal in your country or you can withdraw with it, no problem. Us Payoneer. Then, of course, there is Check for us citizens. I use the Payoneer card to withdraw mine all the time, it’s free to get yours. Follow this link to get extra $25.
You can make god money from freelancer. Some people make thousands of dollars every month there. It’s easier to hit this number if you are a programmer, app developer or website designer. Yet, some other niches do hit it too.
But, like I said earlier, use this as a training field and to get the money you need to pay the bills. While you are building your dreams, you need to fill your stomach, pay some bills and even recharge your data. Freelancing is the answer. A lot of people id it, I made good money there, you can do it too.
Kindly use the share buttons below to share this post on your social media profiles :).
If you have enjoyed this article, hire me to write for you.